Posts Tagged With: Olivia Rox
Is this bothering anyone else as much as it’s bothering me? I mean how many weeks have we been watching this season (and keep in mind, there are actually only 5 more weeks left until it’s OVER!), and we haven’t been able to vote a single time? I wasn’t mad about this last week because I think the judges picked just about everyone I would pick (minus picking Gianna over Stephaney). But this week stung. Seeing super qualified people that didn’t really get a lot of screen time, lose out, in favor of contestants who were heavily featured and have by some crazy metric “a good storyline”
Don’t get me wrong, I know I’m a bit of a hypocrite because I am still really glad that Jenn made it through despite her poor performance yesterday. But to see Tristan (and Lee and Manny for that matter), make it through over Amelia, it just wasn’t something that I wanted to see. And I really thought she was good enough. Even if you put both performances up against Pickles (which I’ve learned is Kellie Pickler’s nickname and I love it), Amelia had an outstandingly better performance. Tristan SCREAMED of not being ready for this yet. I would also be mad about Shelbie had I not already had it in my head that she wouldn’t go through.
While I did like Adam and CJ’s performance, I don’t feel anything by them not being selected to move forward. But Amelia…
So with that, lets just talk about the duets in order, so I can get talking about Amelia out of the way as quickly as possible.
Amelia Eisenhauer and Kellie Pickler – Suds in the Bucket
I seriously LOVE Kellie Pickler. She’s one of my favorite idol contestants. I never thought she’d win or anything, I just loved her personality. And I love when she’s on Ellen! Seriously, do yourselves a favor and watch this, this and this (my personal favorite). How she doesn’t have her own talk show is beyond me, because I could watch her ALL day. But back to Amelia, I know I said I loved her and then I spend a paragraph talking about how much I love Kellie Pickler. I should use my Tristan paragraph for this conversation since I didn’t really have anything nice to say about Tristan. Alternatively, I have a lot of nice things to say about Amelia. I thought her performance was easily in the top 4 of the night. If not the top 3. She held her own against Kellie’s voice and that is not easy (see: Tristan’s performance). I loved the fiddling. I loved the song (one that I totally forgot about how much I loved – and quickly downloaded). I just loved everything about this performance, and I’m really going to miss Amelia. #gonetoosoon.
Kory Wheeler and Haley Reinhart – Bennie and the Jets
Sweet Kory. I thought this was a good last performance for you. I think we all knew this would be the last time we’d see Kory. I don’t think anyone believed he’d really crack that Top 7, but he played great back-up vocals for Haley. And if you thought I could spend a lot of time talking about my love of Kellie Pickler’s personality, I can also talk that long about how much I loved Haley’s voice. But what I really need to talk about is a one Jennifer Lopez. I think it needs to be addressed that that lady is a straight up LIAR. I’m sorry Jen but you are not remembering history correctly. Between you, Randy and Steven, you sabotaged Haley. You never wanted her to succeed and you were always more critical of her than any other contestant, to.a.fault. Man that really infuriated me. I wish someone had made a youtube montage of all the times the judges were straight up jerks to Haley, so that I could prove my point but just trust me on this one. Google proved it pretty well though:
Lee Jean (Valjean) and Chris Daughtry – Home
My best friend was asking how Lee pronounced his last name and I told her “like John, or a french person saying legion with a lot of emphasis” and she goes “Oh like Jean Valjean”. Yes. Exactly like that. And now I will never call Lee anything else. I was hoping that I could actually forget about him after this somwhat drab, not great performance… no such luck though. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I had a feeling he’d be picked – first was a load of crap – but I knew he’d be in. It’s not that he’s a terrible performer or anything, but he’s 1 of 4 performers (5 if you include those that didn’t make it through to the top 14) that I just think are too young for the competition. And the judges can’t even help but bring up his youth… and yet here he is, still on stage like the other 3 (Gianna, Tristan and Thomas).
CJ Johnson and David Cook – The World I Know
It’s funny because when they were prepping this next package, I was looking at CJ and thinking – is that what David Cook looks like now? Turns out I almost completely forgot what David Cook looks like. And it fit with this song because when it ended all I could think was – I’m going to forget about this by tomorrow. Also I spent most of the time trying to remember who sang this song. I thought it was the Goo Goo Dolls but was reminded that it’s Collective Soul.
Manny Torres and Jordin Sparks – No Air
I actually thought this performance was pretty decent. Sure I was thinking the whole time how much taller Jordin is than both Manny and Ryan, but I was still able to concentrate on the performance, which meant it was good enough to at least hold my attention. I still really didn’t think Manny would make it through. I would almost say I was borderline shocked, because I thought at least CJ got more screen time, and Adam had 2 really solid performances. But they went with Manny. I’m not mad about it or anything. Mostly just indifferent. I feel like I’m going to be very critical of his performances when it comes voting time.
Jenn Blosil and Constantine Maroulis – My Funny Valentine
It might come as a shocker to nobody, but this was my favorite performance of the night. I thought Jenn did a great job redeeming herself from last night. And maybe I was just still defensive of Haley, but I got really defensive of Jenn when Harry laid in his criticisms. Thank god for Keith, who probably saved her tonight. I owe you one, Keith! Also, for some reason I got it in my head that if John Stamos (who doesn’t really have a bad singing voice) had Constantine’s singing voice, he would probably be the perfect person. And then I had to reminisce about the time he covered that song Forever (by the Beach Boys) on Full House. Let’s all reminisce, shall we?
Also, it should be noted that I prefer the music video he did for this, but I liked this video more as far as quality of the video on youtube. Plus who doesn’t love a good gospel choir?
Tristan McIntosh and Kellie Pickler – Best Days of Your Life
And after the best performance of the night, we had the worst. Tristan, look, you’re going to be a great singer, but compared to the experience of some of the older contestants on this show, and definitely compared to Kellie, you are just not ready. Her singing seemed faulty at best and she didn’t really embrace the stage either. The later part is forgivable but the former – sorry honey. Just can’t root for ya. And have I mentioned how much I love Kellie Pickler?
Olivia Rox and David Cook – Light On
So, now I’m convinced that it was a million little Olivia’s that got David Cook his win on American Idol. Right? How was I so amazed by how star struck she was with one of the least memorable American Idols (next to Ruben and Taylor and probably Caleb and Nick when it comes down to it). It’s funny how many times the white guys win Idol and yet their often some of the least successful. Case in point: David Cook. But I digress. I thought this performance was really good and I think it was definitely a good paring of voices and a pretty decent song, no less. I must say the song choices tonight were far superior to the song choices last night. And last week for that matter.
Adam Lasher and Haley Reinhart – Can’t Help Falling in Love
Part of me thought this was fantastic. Part of me thought, this is the performance to beat, but every time I looked up at Adam, I was grossed out. I don’t know why but he just skeeved me out last night. His face with that haircut made him look weirdly chubby, and his “come have sex with me eyes” that he was giving Haley were definitely creepy. But when you didn’t look at them, it was amazing. But then once the show was over, I got super pissed all over again. Just another smack in the face to Haley, as neither contestant she sang with made it through! I’d like to believe it wasn’t just one final f-you from the Judges and that in fact, Haley just sounded so much better than the other two, that it made them look bad… but I really think it was just one more final dig by Jenny from the Block.
Those are my angry eyes.
Dalton Rapattoni and Chris Daughtry – Higher Ground
I thought this was a fine, middle of the pack performance. Nothing more, nothing less. But like Lee, I was sure that Dalton would make it through. Unlike Lee, I’m ok with that happening, if for nothing else than Daltons really great ability to pick a song. It’s an important characteristic of an Idol contestant, for me.
Trent Harmon and Jordin Sparks – To Love Somebody
I am a sucker for a boy/girl duet as opposed to a same sex duet. And I thought Trent again, sounded really good (against my want for him to sound really good). I just have this fear he’s going to make it to the Top 2 and I’m going to hate every second of it because I am bias and I do want a girl to win and I’m scared that if he makes it into the top 2, he’ll win. And is that really the last American Idol you want in this world? It isn’t for me, I can tell you that much.
Shelbie Z and Constantine Maroulis – Bohemian Rhapsody
When I saw they were doing this song my first thought was, why? Seemed like a difficult song, especially to do just a small portion from it. But I thought they absolutely killed this performance. And while I didn’t really have Shelbie in my Top 7, I was sure she’d be in the judges after that performance. Then I heard their critique and was really surprised. I didn’t see anything negative coming at all. But there it was. I only say that Amelia was robbed more than Shelbie because Shelbie has been on reality tv singing competitions before, and I just like Amelia’s voice a little more – but really all things considered, Shelbie was just as much if not more robbed by the judges than Amelia.
Also, in case you were wondering who America’s favorites were over the last 2 weeks, it looks a little something like this:
It’s kind of like the dirty dozen. I did almost call this post “The Mono-filled Dozen” because was it just me or did a lot of tonights crew look mono-ridden? Especially the boys!
Tonight was really interesting. It’s hard for me to compare it to last week because honestly it’s hard for me to think back to last week. I think I have stomach flu PTSD. But from what I recall there were a handful of good performances, and last night was no different. There were exactly 4 contestants that I really liked, and then one more that I hope still makes it through. I feel pretty good about that because it means that the judges can allow in those 5, and then they can still allow 2 more without me blowing a gasket. It’s a win win for everybody.
So let’s go through the contestants from tonight and I’ll try to do another “say one nice thing/one criticism” for each contestant and we’ll see how it goes.
Shelbie Z – Work Hard, Play Harder
+ I thought she was a great way to start the show because I knew she’d be really energetic and most likely, a solid performance.
– While the performance was solid, it was also somewhat forgettable. To me, it was just like every other performance she’s done to date. I just want to see her maybe connect with a song, do a song with some emotion and not just one with a good glory note at the end.
Manny Torres – Adventures of a Lifetime
+ He was one of my favorite guys going into tonight.
– Well… the minus is with myself I guess. I’ve been poo-pooing so many of the guys this season, and I think the only reason I really liked Manny was his energy and his attitude. Listening to his song tonight (and after hearing the remaining contestants), I thought he was actually one of the worst performances by a guy tonight. These things happen though. I wasn’t that attached at this point so now is probably the time to drop off this bandwagon.
Kory Wheeler – Let it Go
+ I didn’t have anything against the performance itself.
Amelia Eisenhauser (or is it Eisenhauer? I’ve seen it both ways) – Wake Me Up
+ I learned to like this song when Majesty Rose sang it last year (two years ago? really? that was two years ago?) and I thought Amelia made it sound even better. She really picked a good time to come out with a great song! And she was one of the very few that picked a great song to sing tonight so I feel like that deserves a little bonus clap!
– I really don’t have any. I guess my only negative is that I worry that she’s competition for Jeneve, and vice versa. I hope people don’t forget about her because I feel like she’s gaining a good momentum at this point. I hope it continues!
Jenn Blosil – Sorry
+ I really really really wish I had one. And if anyone was wondering about that one person I want to go through even though they didn’t have a good performance, if you didn’t guess Jenn, you don’t know me very well.
– It was just… it was not good. It was so out of tune. Part of me wondered if she had some kind of Adele mic issue going on but I think we all know that wasn’t it.
CJ Johnson – I’ll Be.
+ He sang very well.
– That song… oh god that song. Do you know HOW MANY times that song has been performed on idol? If ever there was a time to discuss poor song choice, it was with CJ. Nothing against CJ, but seriously, everything against CJ. Know your idol history, brah. He could’ve done so well with some kind of rock song (even slowed down to an “I’ll Be” pace) but this song was terrible, and he changed nothing about it so to me, it was just a guy who’s pretty good at karaoke singing a song I’ve heard 100 times at karaoke.
Lee Jean – Runaway
+ Good song choice, and Lee is a cute kid.
– Much like Kory Wheeler… I just thought it was forgettable.
Trent Mother Fucking Harmon – What Are You Listening To?
+ What most surprised me tonight… and I know, this is shameful what with all my resistance to him getting to this point in the competition. I hate myself a little bit for even saying this… but I really liked Trent tonight!
– Just me over here hating myself for liking Trent. Hopefully it goes away. Lord knows his mono hasn’t. More negatives, this was the best performance of the night, if you ask me.
Tristan McIntosh – Good Girl
+ When compared to Gianna, who I think is her biggest competition, I thought she was stellar.
– I feel like she was really sharp at points of her performance. She didn’t really have a good amount of stage presence (though I felt I could say that about a lot of people last night) and compared to the rest of the girls in this competition, she just isn’t Top 10 material for me. Maybe in a few more years or something.
Adam Lasher – Black and Gold
+ Adding to the list of people I thought I was “so over” that I ended up really liking, is Adam. I genuinely enjoyed his performance tonight and for me he was second only to Trent.
– I did agree with Harry’s criticism of his tempo but for me it was negligible. I just hope he keeps singing songs like this (a song I don’t think I’ve ever heard).
Dalton Rapattoni – Rebel Yell
+ Dalton is one of the very few people this season who really know how to pick a song. He is so creative with his song choices and it’s something I genuinely REALLY like about him. If I had to pick a Top 7 for myself, he’d definitely be in it. And I didn’t have that feeling going into tonight.
– I’m obsessing over whether his eye color is real because the blue eyes throw me off. They don’t look natural to me – but if they are – then maybe he’s just a Cal Ripken/Frank Sinatra/Bradley Cooper type with strikingly blue eyes, yet dark features? I mean it has been known to happen.
Olivia Rox – Confident
+ I wasn’t familiar with the original song but after listening to it, I think I actually liked Olivia’s version more.
– She really doesn’t have the vocal power that Demi has and it really showed in this performance. I think had I not listened to the original song, I would’ve liked Olivia’s performance a lot more, but I can’t un-listen to it.
So, with that, I think if I had to pick a Top 07 (and boy do I wish I could do something like, I dunno… VOTE!?!?!?!? I would) I would pick:
Olivia, Amelia, Trent, Adam, Jenn (with hopes that tonight was a screw up), and probably Dalton and CJ. So many more guys than I thought I would root for, but it is what it is! Being as they only kept 2 guys last week, it’s probably appropriate that I have 4 guys that I think are worth saving this week.
And for the duets tonight, who do you think will perform with whom? We’ve got David Cook, Chris Daughtry, Constantine Maroulis, Kellie Pickler, Haley Reinhart and Jordin Sparks. That’s a lot of rock and not a lot of rockers tonight. And I pity whoever gets paired with Haley because they’re probably going to sound terrible. Here are some guesses from me, but their just wild guesses. No grounding in actual fact or reasoning…
David Cook – Olivia and Kory
Daughtry – CJ and Dalton
Constantine – Trent and Adam
Kellie – Shelbie and Amelia
Haley – Jenn and Tristan
Jordan – whoever is left? Manny and Lee? Actually that isn’t too bad a pairing.
We’ll see how many I get right but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the answer is zero.
But when you really looked at the breakdown of talent in the 3 rooms, it was pretty easy to see that Room 2 was probably on the way out… Take a look for yourself. I even highlighted the ones I thought were talented 🙂
If you ask me, the next American Idol was in Room 3. I mean, there was a solid pool of talent there! Look at all those red arrows! I mean, if I have to accept Michelle Marie in order to have the rest of contestants in room 3 be safe, it’s a price I’m willing to pay.
So with that lets talk about favorites of the night (in order of appearance)! Spoiler alert, they’re all ladies 🙂
Olivia Rox – Original Song “Crazy Love”
For your choice to debut a new song
(same for you Mackenzie Bourg – and truth be told, I thought your song was better). Good call to do it on this night. Break out the originality a little further into the competition, when you’re looking for one more wow. Not only that though. Her voice is still solid and this being the 3rd time performing on tv, I think she’s proving that she is consistent, which is really important.
Sonkia Vaid – One Last Time by Ariana Grande
Jessica Cabral – Up to the Mountain by Patty Griffin
I put these two girls together because they just have the most beautiful voices of this competition. I will say that during Sonkia’s performance, the background singer was a little distracting but I think overall, her voice showed through and I think she’ll be fine. I think they probably both need a little help with the actual performance part of their jobs, but they’ve got the voice thing down. Though lack of ability to perform does eventually make me hate contestants (not as much as poor song choice) so they probably should get to working on that before the live shows.
Jenn Blosil – True Colors by Cyndi Lauper
Oh my sweet flower, Jenn. What a perfect song choice. I hope she’s not having a breakdown because I really like her. And she has no need to be that sad because her performance, of what I heard, was fantastic! Honestly I thought I’d just be happy she made it through group night, because unique flowers like Jenn don’t always… but at this point I really want her to go further. I need to see her sing live! Come on Idol fans! Let’s make sure Jenn gets to the live shows and stays there!
And now for a few comments about the remaining contestants we saw:
Stephaney Negrente – Set Fire to the Rain I think this girl has a really good voice, but when she sings, she sounds like she had a problem with saying the letter R. It was like “I set fiyah to the wain”. Was that just me hearing that?
Thomas Stringfellow – A Thousand Years Ah yes, Newsies guy… This was my least favorite male performance of the night, but his hipster vibes gave me a strong feeling he’d be safe. He just reminds me of a younger Alex Preston. And where the hell is he, nowadays?
Avalon Young – One Last Time I don’t feel like I really got to hear her performance but for a little snippet, but I’d like to believe it was solid. The last note was a little rough though. Hoping it was a fluke and you’ll be back to belting shortly.
One Last Time by Ariana Grande – She thought she could have done better, although the little snip seemed fine!
John Wayne Schulz (sans hat) – John 3:16 John, sweet John. I know you didn’t make it through. And I hate that (I think) an idol producer stole his hat, so that he wouldn’t wear it. But seriously though – It’s crazy how much younger and hotter he looks without the hat. It’s a totally different look. Do I think he should try singing without it more often?
Tristan McIntosh – What Hurts the Most Crying because of her emotional connection… really? This early in the season? Seemed a little contrived to me. Sure you didn’t just figure out a story? Maybe she should’ve sung “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”? How’s that for a life lesson? Man how long can I go without finishing a sentence with a question mark? haha.
Mackenzie Bourg – Original Song “Roses” Briefly mentioned him above but he should know, he was the only guy I really liked tonight. I mean I liked John Wayne, sexually, but I liked Mackenzie, musically. Sure Lee and Thomas were fine, but Mackenzie was where it’s at.
Shelbie Z – Alone Listen, truth be told, I just can’t decide if I like her. It’s mostly that I know she’s already tried out for The Voice. I just think that if you made it a certain distance in one show and didn’t make it, what makes you think you’re going to make it on this one? I know that’s mean, and she has a voice like a mack truck so I do think she deserves to be where she is at this point, I just don’t know how much further I want to see her go. We’ll see. She could always win me over!
Kory Wheeler – Fix You Love this song, do not like Kory Wheeler. Darren Criss still has the best version of this song.
Well that just lead to a “Glee Music” shame spiral. Who am I kidding? There’s no shame in my Glee game. haha.
James VIII – Wicked Game Oh that guy is still here!
Lee Jean – Stitches Ok well… Lee is cute. He’s pretty good, but I still feel like he’s really young. I mean he’s 3 years younger than Sarah. I think he’s full of potential, I just wish he was a year or two older.
Sara Sturm – Somewhere Only We Know Sara is fine. She does have a good voice, but compared to the competition, I don’t see her in a Top 5 situation. I could see her Top 24 though. I if I hadn’t seen her pre-performance, I would’ve guessed she was one of the people with
Emily Brooke – What Hurts the Most Great voice. She gets better every time I hear her. I didn’t even notice the key problems. Also I loved her dress.
Malie Delgado – Stitches / Mionne Dynasty – Chains (Laryngitis girls)
Have we seen either of these girls, to date? They were both fine through their respective illnesses that aren’t mono. Something tells me this will be the last time we’ll see these two…
Joshua Wicker – 1000 years I didn’t really remember this guy was still on the show, and his performance wasn’t anything that special, but I was sad seeing him say goodbye as a Room 2-er. He seems like a real good guy.
CJ Johnson – Go Your Own Way Honestly, CJ should’ve been in my Top. I think he would’ve probably been my 5th. I just liked the enthusiasm he brought to the performance. I would’ve liked to see more of it.
Jeneve Mitchell – Danny’s Song Oh Jeneve… I really really wanted you to be in my Top 5 again… but this was truly not your best performance. I really hope that this was just a minor set back and you’re good enough and that’s why the judges kept you – because they know this. I’m still rooting for you, Jeneve!
Dalton Rapattoni – Hopelessly Devoted to You I know he was saying group night was tough on him but dude, I’ll tell you what I told Tristan… man up. Life is hard. The music industry is hard. Get used to it. I did really like the song choice because we all know I love a song from a show, especially a show I just watched live! To be honest, I liked Sandra Dee a lot more.
There were definitely some people I missed seeing *cough cough* La’Porsha *cough cough* but it’s nice to see they’re still through so we’ll hopefully see them one more time tonight (or next week, whatever).
190 contestants, one hour of show.
Being that it was only an hour, I wasn’t surprised at the number of contestants we actually saw (24). It’s interesting that of the contestants we saw singing, besides the two montage of nos, most people we saw sing, made it through (20 of the 24).
So, if you want the list of who made it through from each group of 10 we saw, just see below. As for this, I’m just going to talk about a few people I loved and a few people I was really surprised they kept. Honestly though, I’m fine with keeping folks I think are bad, as long as we don’t lose anyone I thought was good, and in this case, that’s how it was 🙂
So – what I learned from Hollywood Week, Round 1…
1. As you may remember, I was on the fence about liking Dalton. I still am, but I do like him more after he was talking to Jaci about beating her on a bigger scale. Why did I find that endearing? Who knows. My heartlessness? Maybe because it’s pretty obvious he’s the better singer.
2. I’m still obsessed with Jenn Blosil. Or JBlo, which I now unfortunately for her, am going to call her forever. I really don’t think she’ll win this, just based on types, but that girl is going places, I’m sure of it (I also really like Olivia, who was in her group). People I am also still obsessed with include but are not limited to: Jessica Cabral, Jenever Mitchell (who I’m still going to talk about), Sonika Vaid, LaPorsha Renae and Manny Torres.
3. Jessica Cabral is so good. Like, dreamy good. Like, so so so so so good.
I think by far, she has the best voice in this competition. I mean, there’s definitely competition for her, but this is her fight to lose.
4. I loved LaPorshas performance as much as I loved her homage to Janet.
I still hate the storyline of LaPorsha bringing her kid and putting so much emphasis on being a single mother (it’s not just her, it’s all the people with the backstories), but you can only hate on something so long before you just have to drop it because it’s not even them anyway – it’s the producers – and when they’re really good, does it even matter, really? No. It doesn’t. LaPorsha was so good. I loved her rendition of Roar! Though I’m curious to see how she pulls of a Janet song. Here’s hoping I get one of those before her run is over!
5. So Melaney Huber, the girl who overcame cancer to perform, did anyone catch her mom talking to her, post-dismissal? “I love you anyway” – um, what? So you would’ve loved her more if she’d made it but you guys you’ll love her still even though she’s not famous? I’m just going to chalk it up to being out of context or that she said it the wrong way and hope that I’m right.
6. Jeneve Rose Mitchell. Girl, I know I already said I’m obsessed with you once in this post but does it really hurt to mention it again? I don’t really care. I am. I’m so glad I put her in my Top 5 because she is SO deserving! I just love her and I really hope she succeeds. I think if I could personally pick a contestant for the live shows, I really think I’d pick her. She just looks like she can put on a good show. I want to see her in front of a band so badly! I hope she makes it to the showcase show and then kills it.
7. Does anyone think of Tracy Flick from the movie Election when they see Michelle Marie? Because I see a mixture of Tracy, Rachel Berry and Becky Johnson (the former two being Glee characters). Just google it. Or just trust that I’m right. Either is fine.
8. Dude, Trent… I know this is a kissing disease but I really hope he was the last to use that mic because I feel like everyone would have mono otherwise. And what is the break like between Hollywood Week/Group Night and the next round? Is dude gonna have time to feel better before then? Because I mean, sometimes you’ve gotta medically inactivate people. Poor guy looked TERRIBLE. Did you see the black guy at the end talking to Trent?
And finally. I think the biggest question of all… why was Jimmy Kimmel holding a stone chair and a potato? I couldn’t get a screen gran on Idol but I did find the One Direction episode of Kimmel and there it was (and now I know the context). Oh also, the 1D Potato has a twitter.
So with that, we move on to the best night, group night! And as promised, below is a list of who made it through, of the people I saw.
Miranda Poh Scott
So, in case were wondering what’s going on in Maryland, well just consider winter this white walker, and Maryland is Jon Snow.
It did give me a lot of time to dick around on the internet though, you know, in between shoveling and trying to make sure my house doesn’t look like a food hoarder lives there. I saw a post over at MJ’s that I kind of loved. She actually has a ton of really great nostalgia posts that I highly recommend if you like the show. The one I’m talking about in particular though, was her list (I think) of the Top 25 auditions on Idol, over the last 15 seasons. I’m not sure if she included this season because I didn’t see anyone on it from this season – but that said, of the 25 on there, I’m not sure anyone that auditioned this season, was worthy of that spot. But I also don’t think all the people that made it from Season 14 should be on there.
My personal reasoning for the list looking like that is two fold. One, it’s just easier to find auditions of more recent contestants. I’ve tried to look for a contestant from seasons 3 or 5 before and it’s just not there. Especially if you can’t remember their exact name, which can be difficult at times. I also think it’s because in the earlier seasons, there were more bad auditions than good and we often wouldn’t see the kids who made it to the Top 24 until they were revealed. I can’t tell you how many “Who are they?”‘s I let out in the early seasons. That’s definitely one plus of the newer years in that we got to see more talent early on and I do like that a lot. So I’ll just let it lie and be happy with the list. I mean, those were 25 solid auditions, and a fun way to spend yesterday, reminiscing – because in my snow induced haze, I thought Idol was on last night.
That said, I got to thinking about who my favorite auditions were from this season. First, I did a top 15 (a top 5 from each week of auditioning) and that you can find at the bottom. But I also picked from that, a Top 5 overall. These are 5 people that I’ll be supes upset about if they don’t make it into the live shows, even though I’m already preparing for the thought that only one or two might make it that far, because I know my type isn’t always America’s type…
Don’t worry, NPH is always America’s type. He just had the right facial expression for my emotions. I digress. Here are my Top 5 and some more information about them, should you like them enough to investigate them a little more thoroughly.
Also, it should be noted that my top 5 for this are all female. Sorry dudes, you didn’t make the cut this time. If I had to pick a guy, it would be Dalton Rappatoni. Dalton, consider yourself in my Top 6. Honestly you might’ve made it to my Top 5 but in looking up some stuff on you I saw you’re in a boy band. Well, you were (or are you still?) in a boy band. A disney boy band. I just don’t know how I feel about that. I need some time to think about it.
This is in no particular order except for the order I wrote them down as I was thinking of them:
Wow do I have a type or what? Apparently I like white chicks that play instruments! haha. Whoops. Well, I likes what I like. What can you do?
- Jeneve Mitchell – As I mentioned in my original post about liking Jeneve – she fills a lot of my checklist for idol material – plays an instrument check kooky in a good way check excellent voice check! But with all quirky contestants, especially ones that maybe don’t have too much involvement with stress and big shows and no sleep and dealing with other people, maybe don’t do as well succeeding on. I do hope she makes it past group week though because she’s someone that I do think should be seen! On the plus side I did see that she has a website and has most of your standard social media accounts, so I think she’s a little less “off the grid” than we thought. I think that can only help her! Also it should be noted that there’s now another reason I like her – all the animal/dog posts on her facebook page! Maybe I should add “Animal Lover” to my checklist?
- Olivia Rox – I go back and forth with Olivia. For one, she reminds me a lot of Jax (good and bad), she’s tried out for other shows (not my ideal but at least I’ve never seen her on another show) and she has a famous parent (I’ve stated my objections to this before) but the fact is, I like Olivia, I think she has a great voice and she clearly knows what she’s doing up there. I think she’ll be an excellent selection for this season and I wouldn’t be surprised to see her well into the Top 10, if not the Top 5. The only thing she could’ve done better to woo me, would’ve been to play a good original song. The next best thing to that is to put an original spin on a song I’ve heard 100 times and that she did! Oh and Olivia has her own website too, in case you were wondering.
- Jenn Blosil – Oh sweet Jenn… how do I love you? Let me count the ways…
I love Jenn. I really don’t see my love affair getting to last too long with Jenn, but I’m going to keep my fingers crossed. And I’m already following her on twitter so at least I have that. I also liked that when I looked to see if she had a website (and my gut said she didn’t) all I found were some amazing google image pictures, and a great selection of youtube videos of her original songs which I HIGHLY recommend you listening to (seriously, she wasn’t for sure in my top 5 until I started listening to her on youtube and was like – how is this chick not famous yet?)! Her twitter isn’t bad either.
- Jenna Renae – Jenna is kind of, unfortunately, one of my more forgettable Top 5-ers. I did like her a lot, and a lot of people had her as one of the best auditions but when I looked at her I still had to think – wait, who was she? But when I re-watched her audition and looked at the notes I did have down, I mean, she definitely deserves the Top 5. It was a toss up between her and Jessica Cabral but listening to both again, Jenna is the clear victor. Please retract my statement about Jessica being my A1 from Day1. It might be Jenna. Jenna also has a website but it’s far down the google search so I kind of wonder how up to date it is, but it looks current. Also by the google image search, I think there’s also a body builder with her name.
- Avalon Young – As yes, Avalon. The Laney Boggs to American Idols’ Zach Siler. The Eliza Doolittle to Professor Higgins. You get my drift. I love Avalon. I think the way she came in she’s a little forgettable but with a great name, and a look with a lot of potential, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of her this season. And if we don’t, well I hope I see a lot of her elsewhere because she’s pretty great. She also had my favorite website, in case you were wondering. It’s like a mix of music/social media/tumblr.
So those are the 5 that I’m desperate to see make it to the live show, and below are the other 10 that I’d be super pumped to see in the live show, but will understand if they don’t make it, even though I’ll most likely believed they were robbed and the likes of Johnny VIII, that guy with 3 first names or that guy who’s probably getting divorced. But here’s hoping for a solid Top 24!
Top 5 from Week 1 – Jeneve Mitchell, Dalton Rappatoni, Olivia Rox, Sonika Vaid and LaPorsha Renae
Top 5 from Week 2 – Jenn Blosil, John Wayne Schultz, Chris “CJ” Johnson, Thomas Stringfellow and Amber Lynn
Top 5 from Week 3 – Jenna Renae, Manny Torres, Amelia Eisenhauer, Jessica Cabral and Avalon Young
I almost tried to pick a top 24 but I honestly couldn’t. I think I could pick 20 I really liked but 24 was like pulling teeth. Why don’t they just do a Top 15 and then go from there?
So who are your Top 15? Does anybody have some favorites that I didn’t mention? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Sorry, couldn’t think of a clever title. Not sure why. I guess it’s just because it was a pretty run of the mill episode. Lots of good talent, over dramatic judges stealing the show, same old. The nice thing, as was brought up by said judges, was how many awesomely talented females that San Francisco and Arkansas had! If the auditions continue to go like this, we’re gonna be in for one heck of a season. And if they don’t, then something tells me the winner is going to come from Arkansas or San Francisco!
I will say, even with all the talented ladies, of my top 3, a guy did happen to make it. Though if I had picked a top 5, there would still probably only be one guy. So with that, let’s talk about my favorites. I couldn’t put them in order this time. I don’t know if they were all that good or just that none of them were good enough to warrant me declaring them my favorite. Or maybe it’s just because I liked them all for very different reasons.
Let’s talk about the boy first.
Dalton Rapattoni – 19 year old from Dallas, TX
Song: Phantom of the Opera
Dalton was great. When I hear vocal coach, I usually assume it’s someone who tried to make it but maybe didn’t have that kind of luck. This guy was different. And he proved that with his song choice. Taking Broadway and giving it the American Idiot treatment? And then doing it really well? I mean, that’s a win win win to me. I’m not sure how far the guy is going to get, but the fact that he brought such an original song choice makes me hope he’ll make it to the live show. At least for the time being. Things could always change the more contestants I see.
Olivia Rox – 16 year old from Agoura Hills, CA
Song: When I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars
So apparently this little lady was also on Americas Got Talent, but since I don’t watch that, I’ll forgive her for trying out for multiple shows. And honestly I’ll forgive her just because I liked her so much! Obviously I love a musician and she somewhat proved she can play multiple instruments. She really did remind me a little of Kelly Clarkson (minus the being from a quasi-famous musician family). I will say that I think of everyone I’ve seen so far, I think she has some of the most potential to make it to the live show. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for her.
Tristan McIntosh – 15 year old from
Song: Why Baby Why
Ok so I know, there was her whole story with her mom and all. I’d be lying if I said tears weren’t shed. How can you watch those homecoming surprises and not? I mean those things are just the sweetest. But I have to say that usually people with those kinds of stories, I tend to not like – just because – why need the story? But luckily for Tristan, she was freaking great. Plus she played the piano. I really can’t decide if I like Tristan or Olivia more… but I guess I have time to work that one out.
And now for some honorable mentions:
La’Porsha Renae – There have been so many good versions of this song on this show (and by contestants post-show), so obviously I have to compare. I think she definitely held her own in that it was different enough and still good. I’m just not a huge fan of the runners. But for a runner I enjoyed her. She did the runs better than anyone I’ve seen so far this season.
The montage singers (Jessica Clarke, Ameet Kanon and Kayla Mickelson) – I thought all of these girls seemed really good, but since they were montaged together I feel like I didn’t really get to form an opinion. As such, I will continue with my lack of formal opinion, until I see them again.
Brandyn Burnett – Ok for one, I really liked his original song. Sure the lyrics were a little amateurish, but I couldn’t have written that song. And honestly I was a little jealous of Harry being able to hold him while he played piano, even though I did think it was supes unprofessional for Harry to do that but, it is what it is at this point.
Some other thoughts on the show:
- People, stop bringing your babies. I get it, you’re proud of your kid. Maybe you think they give you a better shot because who wants to tell you no, when you’re holding a cute little baby (lord knows they can’t say no when you bring your Larger than Life American Idol fan parents to the audition). It’s annoying. The sob stories can be bad enough but we don’t need your baby there.
- Also, don’t bring live animals. I feel like that should just be a given anyway, but apparently it’s not so lets just make sure we all get that memo.
- Finally, ladies, and yes, Brook Sample we’re all looking at you. Please, repeat after me: Sorry, not sorry. Stop apologizing! Is it to get more compliments or is it a lack of confidence? I really can’t tell. Brook, if you’re reading this, which I suppose is possible since I’ve had an Idol or two google their name and find this blog (for better or worse), please read this article and then please stop apologizing. I think at this point it’s just like a vocalized pause for you, and not an actual apology, but you really shouldn’t.
- Finally, Cameron Richard (pronounced Rish-aah-ed). You’re so cute. I don’t know how far you’ll go, but I can appreciate you audition, and what I basically wanted to point out is that Harry was spot on. Check out Young Paul McCartney next to Cameron:
And with that, we have until next week when we see another round of hopefuls! Cheers.