Ok so first off lets address the elephant in the room… or should I say, the elephant that’s not in the room – the producers of American Idol.
Dearest Simon – What made you think that it was a good idea to not let America vote when it came to the Top 24? Did the judges really need another shot at narrowing the playing field before you let America get their hands on it? Sure, I get irritated with America sometimes when it picks the wrong person (don’t worry, I’m not getting political), but to not give us a right to vote until it’s time to get down to the Top 10?
All I have to say is that the judges better do a better job than America in picking the Top 14, or I’m gonna be super pissed.
I mean voting is what draws us in! It’s what makes us care about the show! …which I guess is political because it’s the reason I think you should vote IRL. To care about America. Trust me. Start voting and paying attention and I guarantee you’ll understand the importance. But if you’re scared to vote… just start with Idol. You’l be voting for president in no time, I promise!
Ok so lets talk about the real reason we’re here. The judges! Oh sorry, I was still in “producer” mindset. I meant, The Contestants! I was wondering which 12 they’d pit up against each other and I was happy with this selection. Though I do think next week will be harder. I decided, so as not to be too mean, to try and say one thing I liked about the performance, and one thing I’d change (or straight up disliked).
Stephany Negrete – Mama Knows Best
+ I LOVE her energy. I was thinking how the producers must be really obsessed with her to have her start out a show two weeks in a row – but when you watch her, you realize it has more to do with just getting people into the show! And I get that.
– What I wish she’d work on is her… a certain I don’t know what. She was just so close to a really good performance but it just lacked something for me. Mojo wasn’t it but I think it did have to do with connection.
And congrats on knowing all those languages.
Mackenzie Bourg – Say Something
+ He’s one of my favorite guys this season – which is saying A LOT because that’s a very short list this year. And what I thought would be a plus for him, ended up being what I didn’t like 😦
– Perfect song choice for him (I thought). I think not doing something “original” was probably a good idea. Do a crowd pleaser. Thing is though, this is def not as good as the original. And I’ve listened to the original a lot. It even came up in my FB “on this day” today. I saw a lot of people that really loved it, but I just wasn’t on that list today. I still hope he’s in for the guys tonight though.
Jeneve Rose – The Sad Animal Song aka Angel
+ She basically plays every instrument. And harp is HARD! And how often are you seeing people singing while playing the harp? But I thought the harp was a nice touch. I loved that Jen admitted she was the one not sure about her – SHOCKER. Glad Jeneve won her over.
– that 90s meets 1800s look. Not sure about that one. It was giving me Seinfeld puffy shirt flashbacks too (not necessarily a bad thing).
Jena Renae – My Church
+ Memorizes song lyrics easily? Me too! That’s probably going to a plus for her if she stays in this game, which I really hope she does. I think she had just as much energy as Stephaney and a better song (which I really liked – had to google and find out what it was
– Her position in the competition! Sad face. I hope the judges remember her. I think if nothing else Keith will. Fingers crossed for my little dark horse!
James VIII – Love Lockdown
+ He’s got a nice smile and he seems really good at playing guitar…
– … in a bar. He seems like the guy I would see at This guy seems like the type that won’t make it through this week. But, Caleb made it through 2 years ago so anything is possible.
Sonika Vaid – Safe and Sound
+ Plays by ear on piano? Talent. And with pitch like that, is it even surprising how well she takes to piano? She has, hands down, the best voice in this competition.
– She needs the energy of Stephaney or she’s going to be forgotten. You’re halfway there picking a t-swizzle song, but you’ll be all the way there if you can do an upbeat song. Just remember no one likes a ballad every single week.
Gianna Isabella – I Put a Spell on You
+ I do like her more than Tristan, but i think Tristan, unfortunately, is the better singer. This also made me notice that they separated a lot of the “similar” contestants. I think that’s very interesting as to how we’ll be shaping up the Top 14. I realize none of this is about Gianna but honestly, it’s because I already kind of forgot her performance. It’s not a good sign. The only thing I do remember…
– that last note wasn’t great.
Emily Brooke – I Am Invincible
+ She’s really good at getting autographs.
– “That wasn’t the sweetest and most beautiful part of your voice” – jlo. I think that sums it up. Poor girl. Competition is hard.
Avalon Young – Love Yourself
+ She’s proving she isn’t who I thought she was, and from this point forward, I will not call you “She’s All That” girl. I liked hearing “this is the only way i’m going out on this stage”. It means a lot to stay true to yourself. And your voice was wonderful. You made me not hate a Justin Beiber song.
– You picked a Justin Beiber song.
Jordan Sasser – All By Myself.
+ I liked your haircut.
– I wish you were all by yourself, at your house, and not on American Idol. I think Harry could’ve stopped with “I didn’t like that”. I know, it’s rude, and this guy hasn’t done anything to me, but he’s also not going to do anything to me, to make me like him. Sorry friend.
Thomas Stringfellow – Creep
+ Far less hiccup noise making.
– Way too many swaybots. Le sigh…. what would Idol be without them?
LaPorsha Renae – Proud Mary
+ She loves a movie soundtrack – I agree. Much of my iPod is movie/musical related!
+ Her JJ key earring, which I’ve mentioned.
+ That she was the only one where I actually stopped writing and watched/jammed along with. #teamlaporsha
– It was a little karaoke. I saw proof of your originality in your first performance so I know it’s in there, but this was very straight forward. But I still loved it. Excellent work for your first almostlive show.
And now, since I’m already running late, let’s see who they keep!
For the record, the 5 I think (it’s a fine line) they say goodbye to are: Thomas (probably not gonna happen. I know, I live in a world of pipe dreams. It’s definitely not to Thomas), Jordan, Emily, James, and then I guess either Gianna or Jenna, in which case I’d hope Gianna. Jenna doesn’t have a quasi-famous mom to help her out.