190 contestants, one hour of show.
Being that it was only an hour, I wasn’t surprised at the number of contestants we actually saw (24). It’s interesting that of the contestants we saw singing, besides the two montage of nos, most people we saw sing, made it through (20 of the 24).
So, if you want the list of who made it through from each group of 10 we saw, just see below. As for this, I’m just going to talk about a few people I loved and a few people I was really surprised they kept. Honestly though, I’m fine with keeping folks I think are bad, as long as we don’t lose anyone I thought was good, and in this case, that’s how it was 🙂
So – what I learned from Hollywood Week, Round 1…
1. As you may remember, I was on the fence about liking Dalton. I still am, but I do like him more after he was talking to Jaci about beating her on a bigger scale. Why did I find that endearing? Who knows. My heartlessness? Maybe because it’s pretty obvious he’s the better singer.
2. I’m still obsessed with Jenn Blosil. Or JBlo, which I now unfortunately for her, am going to call her forever. I really don’t think she’ll win this, just based on types, but that girl is going places, I’m sure of it (I also really like Olivia, who was in her group). People I am also still obsessed with include but are not limited to: Jessica Cabral, Jenever Mitchell (who I’m still going to talk about), Sonika Vaid, LaPorsha Renae and Manny Torres.
3. Jessica Cabral is so good. Like, dreamy good. Like, so so so so so good.
I think by far, she has the best voice in this competition. I mean, there’s definitely competition for her, but this is her fight to lose.
4. I loved LaPorshas performance as much as I loved her homage to Janet.
I still hate the storyline of LaPorsha bringing her kid and putting so much emphasis on being a single mother (it’s not just her, it’s all the people with the backstories), but you can only hate on something so long before you just have to drop it because it’s not even them anyway – it’s the producers – and when they’re really good, does it even matter, really? No. It doesn’t. LaPorsha was so good. I loved her rendition of Roar! Though I’m curious to see how she pulls of a Janet song. Here’s hoping I get one of those before her run is over!
5. So Melaney Huber, the girl who overcame cancer to perform, did anyone catch her mom talking to her, post-dismissal? “I love you anyway” – um, what? So you would’ve loved her more if she’d made it but you guys you’ll love her still even though she’s not famous? I’m just going to chalk it up to being out of context or that she said it the wrong way and hope that I’m right.
6. Jeneve Rose Mitchell. Girl, I know I already said I’m obsessed with you once in this post but does it really hurt to mention it again? I don’t really care. I am. I’m so glad I put her in my Top 5 because she is SO deserving! I just love her and I really hope she succeeds. I think if I could personally pick a contestant for the live shows, I really think I’d pick her. She just looks like she can put on a good show. I want to see her in front of a band so badly! I hope she makes it to the showcase show and then kills it.
7. Does anyone think of Tracy Flick from the movie Election when they see Michelle Marie? Because I see a mixture of Tracy, Rachel Berry and Becky Johnson (the former two being Glee characters). Just google it. Or just trust that I’m right. Either is fine.
8. Dude, Trent… I know this is a kissing disease but I really hope he was the last to use that mic because I feel like everyone would have mono otherwise. And what is the break like between Hollywood Week/Group Night and the next round? Is dude gonna have time to feel better before then? Because I mean, sometimes you’ve gotta medically inactivate people. Poor guy looked TERRIBLE. Did you see the black guy at the end talking to Trent?
And finally. I think the biggest question of all… why was Jimmy Kimmel holding a stone chair and a potato? I couldn’t get a screen gran on Idol but I did find the One Direction episode of Kimmel and there it was (and now I know the context). Oh also, the 1D Potato has a twitter.
So with that, we move on to the best night, group night! And as promised, below is a list of who made it through, of the people I saw.
Miranda Poh Scott