So, in case were wondering what’s going on in Maryland, well just consider winter this white walker, and Maryland is Jon Snow.
It did give me a lot of time to dick around on the internet though, you know, in between shoveling and trying to make sure my house doesn’t look like a food hoarder lives there. I saw a post over at MJ’s that I kind of loved. She actually has a ton of really great nostalgia posts that I highly recommend if you like the show. The one I’m talking about in particular though, was her list (I think) of the Top 25 auditions on Idol, over the last 15 seasons. I’m not sure if she included this season because I didn’t see anyone on it from this season – but that said, of the 25 on there, I’m not sure anyone that auditioned this season, was worthy of that spot. But I also don’t think all the people that made it from Season 14 should be on there.
My personal reasoning for the list looking like that is two fold. One, it’s just easier to find auditions of more recent contestants. I’ve tried to look for a contestant from seasons 3 or 5 before and it’s just not there. Especially if you can’t remember their exact name, which can be difficult at times. I also think it’s because in the earlier seasons, there were more bad auditions than good and we often wouldn’t see the kids who made it to the Top 24 until they were revealed. I can’t tell you how many “Who are they?”‘s I let out in the early seasons. That’s definitely one plus of the newer years in that we got to see more talent early on and I do like that a lot. So I’ll just let it lie and be happy with the list. I mean, those were 25 solid auditions, and a fun way to spend yesterday, reminiscing – because in my snow induced haze, I thought Idol was on last night.
That said, I got to thinking about who my favorite auditions were from this season. First, I did a top 15 (a top 5 from each week of auditioning) and that you can find at the bottom. But I also picked from that, a Top 5 overall. These are 5 people that I’ll be supes upset about if they don’t make it into the live shows, even though I’m already preparing for the thought that only one or two might make it that far, because I know my type isn’t always America’s type…
Don’t worry, NPH is always America’s type. He just had the right facial expression for my emotions. I digress. Here are my Top 5 and some more information about them, should you like them enough to investigate them a little more thoroughly.
Also, it should be noted that my top 5 for this are all female. Sorry dudes, you didn’t make the cut this time. If I had to pick a guy, it would be Dalton Rappatoni. Dalton, consider yourself in my Top 6. Honestly you might’ve made it to my Top 5 but in looking up some stuff on you I saw you’re in a boy band. Well, you were (or are you still?) in a boy band. A disney boy band. I just don’t know how I feel about that. I need some time to think about it.
This is in no particular order except for the order I wrote them down as I was thinking of them:
Wow do I have a type or what? Apparently I like white chicks that play instruments! haha. Whoops. Well, I likes what I like. What can you do?
- Jeneve Mitchell – As I mentioned in my original post about liking Jeneve – she fills a lot of my checklist for idol material – plays an instrument check kooky in a good way check excellent voice check! But with all quirky contestants, especially ones that maybe don’t have too much involvement with stress and big shows and no sleep and dealing with other people, maybe don’t do as well succeeding on. I do hope she makes it past group week though because she’s someone that I do think should be seen! On the plus side I did see that she has a website and has most of your standard social media accounts, so I think she’s a little less “off the grid” than we thought. I think that can only help her! Also it should be noted that there’s now another reason I like her – all the animal/dog posts on her facebook page! Maybe I should add “Animal Lover” to my checklist?
- Olivia Rox – I go back and forth with Olivia. For one, she reminds me a lot of Jax (good and bad), she’s tried out for other shows (not my ideal but at least I’ve never seen her on another show) and she has a famous parent (I’ve stated my objections to this before) but the fact is, I like Olivia, I think she has a great voice and she clearly knows what she’s doing up there. I think she’ll be an excellent selection for this season and I wouldn’t be surprised to see her well into the Top 10, if not the Top 5. The only thing she could’ve done better to woo me, would’ve been to play a good original song. The next best thing to that is to put an original spin on a song I’ve heard 100 times and that she did! Oh and Olivia has her own website too, in case you were wondering.
- Jenn Blosil – Oh sweet Jenn… how do I love you? Let me count the ways…
I love Jenn. I really don’t see my love affair getting to last too long with Jenn, but I’m going to keep my fingers crossed. And I’m already following her on twitter so at least I have that. I also liked that when I looked to see if she had a website (and my gut said she didn’t) all I found were some amazing google image pictures, and a great selection of youtube videos of her original songs which I HIGHLY recommend you listening to (seriously, she wasn’t for sure in my top 5 until I started listening to her on youtube and was like – how is this chick not famous yet?)! Her twitter isn’t bad either.
- Jenna Renae – Jenna is kind of, unfortunately, one of my more forgettable Top 5-ers. I did like her a lot, and a lot of people had her as one of the best auditions but when I looked at her I still had to think – wait, who was she? But when I re-watched her audition and looked at the notes I did have down, I mean, she definitely deserves the Top 5. It was a toss up between her and Jessica Cabral but listening to both again, Jenna is the clear victor. Please retract my statement about Jessica being my A1 from Day1. It might be Jenna. Jenna also has a website but it’s far down the google search so I kind of wonder how up to date it is, but it looks current. Also by the google image search, I think there’s also a body builder with her name.
- Avalon Young – As yes, Avalon. The Laney Boggs to American Idols’ Zach Siler. The Eliza Doolittle to Professor Higgins. You get my drift. I love Avalon. I think the way she came in she’s a little forgettable but with a great name, and a look with a lot of potential, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of her this season. And if we don’t, well I hope I see a lot of her elsewhere because she’s pretty great. She also had my favorite website, in case you were wondering. It’s like a mix of music/social media/tumblr.
So those are the 5 that I’m desperate to see make it to the live show, and below are the other 10 that I’d be super pumped to see in the live show, but will understand if they don’t make it, even though I’ll most likely believed they were robbed and the likes of Johnny VIII, that guy with 3 first names or that guy who’s probably getting divorced. But here’s hoping for a solid Top 24!
Top 5 from Week 1 – Jeneve Mitchell, Dalton Rappatoni, Olivia Rox, Sonika Vaid and LaPorsha Renae
Top 5 from Week 2 – Jenn Blosil, John Wayne Schultz, Chris “CJ” Johnson, Thomas Stringfellow and Amber Lynn
Top 5 from Week 3 – Jenna Renae, Manny Torres, Amelia Eisenhauer, Jessica Cabral and Avalon Young
I almost tried to pick a top 24 but I honestly couldn’t. I think I could pick 20 I really liked but 24 was like pulling teeth. Why don’t they just do a Top 15 and then go from there?
So who are your Top 15? Does anybody have some favorites that I didn’t mention? I’d love to hear your thoughts.